Skip to main content

You can get lots of support with making choices about your education after year 11 and while you’re in further education or training.

This includes:

The Bursary

Looked after young people and care leavers aged 16-19 who are in full-time education or training are entitled to a £1,200 bursary every year. Full time education means school, college or training provider.
Your school and college can decide whether to give you all of the money or to spend all or some of it on equipment and facilities to support you. They can also hold money back for poor attendance or behaviour.
It’s a good idea to ask about this at your interview before you’re offered a place.

How can I apply?

You can apply for the Bursary to your school, college or training provider when you start in year 12. You may also need to reapply at the beginning of every year.

The best time to ask about it is when you enrol. Don’t worry if you forget – ask your form tutor, student services or another member of staff as soon as you remember.

Your social worker or YPA can also help you with this as you will need a letter confirming your status. They have probably helped a few young people before you so may very well have some useful advice.

The Connexions PA or Careers Advisor in your school can help you to find out about courses and training opportunities. They can also advise you on how to apply.
If you're a care leaver and are in education you can get help from Dudley Council until you are 24. Ask your social worker or young persons advisor (YPA) to explain how this works.

Make sure you attend any College and University Open Days

These are a chance to:

  • see what the college or university is like,
  • meet the people who will be teaching you and students who are already there,
  • learn more about the courses including what qualifications you would need and
    find out how to apply.

The dates for open days are posted on college and university web sites. Ask your carer or a friend to go with you as it's always useful to discuss your options with someone who knows you.