Skip to main content
Before you start
- Colleges and universities have open days at various times in the year so try to go to one of them. Then you'll have an idea of what to expect on your first day.
- If you’ll be travelling to college or university on your own practise the journey before you start. Perhaps your carer or a friend could travel with you the first time you do it.
- Before you start ask your social worker or personal advisor about the financial support that’s available. Try to do this as early as you can.
- Find out who you can ask for help at your new college/university. This might be:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Your teachers know that you'll work harder if you are happy at college or university, so they'll be glad to help you if they can.
- Don’t worry if the first few days or weeks are a bit confusing – it takes time to get used to new people, places and routines.
- Try to join groups or clubs. This can help you to make new friends.
Be organised and plan ahead.
- Get everything you need for college or uni ready the night before so that you don’t have to worry about it in the morning.
- Read through your notes straight after every lesson or lecture - this really helps when it comes to revision. It also means that you can identify if there are any parts that you don't understand or need to get more information about.
- Start any assignments as soon as possible – this gives you plenty of time to talk to your teachers if you find that you’re not sure what to do.